The most tourist cemeteries in Europe
Some of the most tourist cemeteries in Europe. The necroturismo or tourism of cemeteries becomes fashionable.
Saint Paul de Vence (France)
For its appearance it could be a perfect example of a small village cemetery, with its white gravestones whitewashed and whitewashed, and its walks full of treacherous gravel. Yes, that which is at the end of the cypress road, where fresh flowers are never lacking and always smells clean. However, the light of the Côte d'Azur hangs from all corners and the views of the fortified village of Saint Paul de Vence are memorable. Located on the rocky Puy plateau from here we can almost touch the Mediterranean horizon. So much that it was the place chosen by the king of color, Marc Chagall, to spend eternity.
Arches, vaults and pavilions coexist in perfect harmony with a vegetation halfway to the wild, where climbing ivy and centennial lichens abound. A garden created for the dead, which in many occasions, the living also enjoy, thanks to the romantic beauty of their sculptures, converted into spectacular outdoor Art Gallery. Built in the late nineteenth century by the Austrian architect Hermann Bollé on the slopes of the Medvednica mountain, its monumental architecture responds to the tastes of the most influential families of the time and today - still active - makes it one of the graveyards most beautiful in Europe.
Probably one of the saddest cemeteries in the world, especially for what it symbolizes. At first glance, its sharp cypresses protect the dry mountain landscape of the Peloponnese peninsula like a green dome, but inside, protected by a huge white cross, hundreds of modest gravestones repeat as a mantra on the same date: December 13, 1943, the day the Nazis charged against the small and picturesque town of Kalavryta, slaughtering all men and boys over 12 years old.
Protestant Cemetery (Italy)
It is located in Rome. Also called Non-Catholic Cemetery, it houses the graves of the poets Percy Bysshe Shelley and John Keats, whose epitaph reads: “This tomb contains everything that was mortal, of a YOUNG ENGLISH POET, who on his deathbed, in the bitterness of his heart, in the malicious power of his enemies, wished that these words be engraved on his tombstone: Here lies one whose name was written in water. ”
Opened in 1874, the central cemetery of Vienna (Zentralfriedhof), the largest in the Austrian capital, is located in the southern part of the city, Simmering district. The cemetery has an area of about 2.5 km², with 3.3 million people buried, and is the second largest in Europe after Hamburg. It has a certain tourist attraction for the amount of illustrious characters buried in it, especially musicians. Thus, on June 22, 1888, the remains of Ludwig van Beethoven and Franz Schubert were transferred to the musicians section, where the remains of Antonio Salieri, Johannes Brahms and the Strauss are also found, as well as the monument to Mozart , whose grave is not there but in the cemetery of St. Marx. In addition to the Catholic section, there is also a Protestant, another Orthodox, and two Jewish cemeteries. Although the oldest of these, created in 1863, was destroyed by the Nazis during Kristallnacht, 60,000 graves are still preserved. The second Jewish cemetery was built in 1917 and is still used.
Monumental Cemetery of Staglieno (Italy)
It is a large monumental cemetery located on a hill in Genoa, Italy. It is famous for its sculptures, being one of the largest cemeteries in Europe, with more than a square kilometer of surface. It was opened in 1851. The gardens were designed by Genoese architect Carlo Barabino, and includes a copy of the Pantheon of Agrippa. The cemetery contains the tombs of Constance Lloyd, the wife of Oscar Wilde, Ferruccio Parri, Fabrizio De André, Nino Bixio and Giuseppe Mazzini. Among the sculptors who have works in it are Leonardo Bistolfi, Giulio Monteverde and Edoardo Alfieri.
Cemitério dos Prazeres (Portugal)
It is a cemetery located in the western part of Lisbon, in the Fregasia de Prazeres, near the Campo de Ourique neighborhood, and is the largest cemetery in the Portuguese capital. When the city of Lisbon was invaded by an outbreak of cholera, in 1833, the creation of a large cemetery was urgent; To this end, the Cemitério dos Prazeres was created. The name of "Pleasures" derives from the name of the former quinta that occupied the place where the cemetery is currently located. Among the illustrious personalities that are buried in the "Artists Corner" of Cemitério dos Prazeres, there are mostly actors, singers, writers, painters and television presenters. The fadista Amália Rodrigues, initially buried here, was later transferred to the National Pantheon, also in Lisbon, after the enormous pressure of her fans, and after the modification of the law that required a minimum of four years before the transfer.
Normandy American Cemetery (France)
It is a cemetery and memorial of World War II, in Colleville-sur-Mer, France, which honors American soldiers killed in Europe during that war. This cemetery is located in a ravine looking towards Omaha Beach, one of the beaches where the famous Normandy Landing took place, and the English Channel. It covers an area of 70 hectares and contains the remains of 9,387 US military. Most of these died during the Normandy landing; It also includes the graves of Air Force members whose planes were shot down in France. The graves are placed to the west, looking at the United States. Three "Medal of Honor" are buried, of which one of them is the son of President Roosevelt. The only burial that does not belong to World War II, is another of Roosevelt's sons who died during World War I and was later transferred to this cemetery.
Highgate Cemetery (England)
It is a historic cemetery located in the Highgate district, north London, England. It is considered part of the English cultural heritage. The cemetery was inaugurated on May 20, 1839, with the design of the architect and entrepreneur Stephen Geary, as part of a plan to provide London with a series of seven private graveyards, the so-called Magnificent Seven, to serve as an alternative to the traditional cemeteries attached to the churches that were not able to supply decently to meet the growing demand.
Greyfriars Cemetery (Scotland)
For many people, the cemetery is primarily associated with Greyfriars Bobby, the faithful dog that guarded his master's grave. Although Bobby's gravestone is at the entrance of the cemetery, it is actually buried at a point where there is only grass, near one of the walls, since Kirk's authorities did not allow his burial, in consecrated land. The famous dog statue is located on the opposite side of the cemetery gate, at the crossroads of the George IV bridge, and the row of candlesticks.
Montparnasse Cemetery (France)
It is a famous cemetery located in the Montparnasse district, Paris, France, on the 3 Edgard Quinet boulevard, and occupies 19 hectares. The fame of the Montparnasse Cemetery is due to the fact that the remains of many great intellectuals and artists, French and foreigners, include Julio Cortázar, famous Argentine writer, César Vallejo, important Peruvian writer, Porfirio Díaz, president of Mexico of 1876. to 1911; among others.
Jewish Cemetery in Prague (Czech Republic)
It was used from the fifteenth century (its oldest tomb, that of Avigdor Kara, dating from before 1439) until 1787. The number of graves of buried people is uncertain, because there are several layers of graves. In any case, it has been estimated that there are approximately 12,000 apparently visible graves, in which more than 100,000 Jews rest. Some of the most famous people buried in the cemetery are Mordecai Maisel (1601), Rabbi Judah Loew (1609), David Gans (1613), and David Oppenheim (1736).
Cemetery of Poblenou (Spain)
It is located in the neighborhood of the same name in the city of Barcelona. It is also known as the General Cemetery of Barcelona, or Cementerio del Este, or Cementerio de Levante, or Cementerio Viejo. . It was inaugurated by the bishop of Barcelona Josep Climent i Avinent in 1775 on uninhabited land near the Playa de la Mar Bella, being the first cemetery in the city built outside the walled perimeter. Since its inauguration, the Cemetery of Poblenou has undergone numerous modifications and extensions. The most important occurred in 1849; In that year Joan Nolla built the pantheon enclosure, where the work of well-known architects and sculptors of the time is concentrated. In this new space, the will of the Barcelona bourgeoisie of the mid-nineteenth century is shown to exhibit, even in their graves, their opulence and social prestige. In 2004 the "Route of the Cemeteries" of Barcelona was created, to publicize the monumental and tourist attraction of the cemeteries of the city. In it, the Cemetery of Poblenou is an outstanding part of this route together with the Cemetery of Montjuïc
Montjuic Cemetery (Spain)
Officially Southwest cemetery, in Barcelona, occupies virtually the entire southern slope of the mountain of Montjuic. The cemetery was inaugurated on March 17, 1883. This work was possible thanks to the demographic expansion together with the economic force of the bourgeoisie of Barcelona, this great space came to replace the problem that arose in the city of Barcelona with the lack of the same in the small cemeteries of district distributed by the city, that on the one hand they could no longer grow due to the urbanistic pressure of their surroundings and that on the other hand they had exhausted their capacity for burial. In 2004 The Route of the Cemeteries of Barcelona was created to publicize the monumental and tourist attraction of the cemeteries of the city, the Cemetery of Montjuic is an integral part of this route together with the Cemetery of Poblenou of Barcelona.
Cemetery of Père-Lachaise (France)
It is the largest cemetery in Paris intramuros and one of the best known in the world. It is located in the XX District and has the peculiarity that many Parisians use it as if it were a park. After its opening, the Père-Lachaise cemetery has been expanded five times: in 1824, 1829, 1832, 1842 and 1850. This has allowed it to go from 17 hectares and 58 areas to 43 hectares and 93 areas, which contain 70,000 graves , 5,300 trees, hundreds of round cats and thousands of birds that nest in their branches. The cemetery receives around two million visits a year. On May 21, 1804, the cemetery was officially opened for a first burial, that of a five-year-old girl. However, this cemetery was not well accepted by the Parisians, who did not want to be buried outside of Paris. Upon being transferred to it the remains of some prestigious characters such as Molière, La Fontaine and Abelardo and Eloisa, the Parisian elite granted her approval.
Comillas Cemetery (Spain)
It is the cemetery of the Cantabrian town of Comillas. Its facade has been, since 1983, of Cultural Interest of Cantabria. The cemetery is located near the sea, on a promontory that makes it visible from a good part of Comillas and that gives it great aesthetic value. The mausoleums, have been designed by Domènech i Montaner, and sculpted by Llimona. Among all of them, the most prominent is that belonging to the Piélagos family. Although without a doubt the most representative figure of the cemetery is the "Exterminating Angel" of Llimona, throughout the enclosure there are a large number of sculptures of angels and other religious motifs.
Luarca Cemetery (Spain)
One of the cemeteries that have a more privileged place is that of Luarca, on the Asturian coast. Many believe that it is too good a location, and that a park could be better. The beauty of the place means that it is not related to the idea that death usually has. An excellent viewpoint.